If you like your fast music, particularly grind and powerviolence, then chances are you'll be more than familiar with these two protagonists. Brutal Trust just keep on going. Since their inception in 1990, they've been releasing EP's, LP's and split that have held them aloft of their peers and Bastard Noise, the power electronics band that co-existed with PV legends Man Is The Bastard are no different. They've joined forces to release a split that is different across both CD and LP mediums, in that both feature completely different songs, while a digital version collects all the songs together. They've also stepped away from the grind too, collaborating instead on a noise record. I'm reviewing the digital copy.
1. Bastard Noise - The Duel Of The Ant And The Dragonfly
2. Bastard Noise - The Horizon On Lynx
3. Bastard Noise - Horned Beetle Conflict
4. Bastard Noise - Mantis Colony
5. Bastard Noise - Preemptive Epitaph For The Living
6. Bastard Noise - The Antenna Galaxies (NGC 4038-4039)
7. Bastard Noise - Frack Baby Frack
8. Brutal Truth - Control Room: Peace Is The Victory Mix
9. Brutal Truth - Control Room: Smoke Grind And Sleep Mix
10. Brutal Truth - The Stroy
If you were expecting straight-forward grind or something, you’ve come to the wrong place with this. Bastard Noise open things with The Duel of The Ant And The Dragonfly, which uses some strange noises that sound like people letting the air out of balloons. That’s my scientific assessment of it anyway. Thankfully things take a more ambient turn with The Horizon on Lynx. It still has harsh-noise in it, but thanks to occasional droning elements in the background that phase in and out, it at least sounds more musical. Also, like the opener, it’s lengthy at over eight minutes. It’s actually strangely trippy. That ambience disappears again in time for Horned Beetle Conflict and in it’s place comes more glitch-like, high-pitched frequencies. It’s unsettling and somehow manages to put you on edge. I guess that’s what Bastard Noise were aiming for.
If you're intrigued after reading that, you can listen to it here:-